Friday, September 23, 2011

CHAPTER 3 - "Celebrating presenters"


In Chapter 3, titled “Celebrating presenters”, Dr. Burmark introduces three categories of presenters by giving examples of famous people and describing their delivery style when presenting. This helped me to identify the kind of presenter I am. I realized I am 10% of a lecturer, 70% of an entertainer and 20% of a motivational speaker. I know that I still make a lot of mistakes when delivering my presentations but I’m happy to know I’m learning a lot from Dr. Burmark’s book. This chapter gave me tips and strategies to start transforming my attitude, my preparation and delivery. It all begins by smiling when preparing the presentation and when delivering causing the audience to smile and become enthusiastic.
I love Dr. Burmark’s idea of (TIF) “Teaching It Forward plan”. TIF is a plan in which we can give the opportunity to a student to learn a skill or class objective and to teach it to their classmates. In other words, it is cooperative learning, in which the gifted student can master the skill while assisting other classmates. I really like the 10 tips she gives from presenter Steve Jobs in becoming a great educator; have fun, toss the script, use your body, pause for effect, dress appropriately, change it up, provide a headline, do the preparation, be the presentation, and present what you love! I plan to make a poster page with these 10 tips and post it at my office to remind myself what to do when preparing my presentations. Doing all of these and combine the three categories of a presenter, it will help me to become a “super presenter-performer” as Dr. Burmark calls it… “The Educator”








Burmark, L. (2011). They snooze you lose: The educator’s guide to successful presentations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment