Sunday, September 18, 2011

CHAPTER 2 - "Creating slides and handouts"


Dr. Burmark shows us, that in order to catch the attention of the audience, presenters have to give presentations. In other words, we have to be able to entertain and educate while giving a presentation. We have to be careful the way we present by not following the standard slideshow procedures, which are; creating slides with bulleted text, print out all slides into handouts and present by reading the slides out loud to the audience. With stimulating samples and activities, Dr. Burmark provides ideas on how we can create slides by using photographs. She indicates it is essential to put photographic images in our slides because it is the images that our audience will remember. Dr. Burmark shares her format in creating neat and useful handouts. She suggests not to printout everything that is in the presentation, instead to make a black and white handout by giving only the most important information and providing the websites and links where the audience can print out later. This will help the presenter to save money with the paper and ink, and at the same time the audience will have few amounts of paper to carry but with essential information and space where they can go back to it later.

I have to say I’m fascinated with this book! I just read chapter 2 and it has giving me powerful tools in creating eye catching presentations. After reading this chapter I’m able to understand the importance of showing not just pictures, but photographs that will open the curiosity of the audience. By doing this, it will motivate the audience to pay attention and process the information. I really like the format she shares to create handouts. I have been in different trainings in which the presenters give copies of the presentation as handouts. They read every single word in the slides making their presentation unexciting. I end up losing interest and start wondering around. Finally, I start drawing pictures on my paper to keep myself entertained. Obviously I do not learn and don’t retain the information of the training because since I have the same copy of the presentation I’m convinced I could go back to it and read it later on my own. I really enjoyed Dr. Burmark’s PowerPoint presentation titled “Thirst”. It has awesome photo images, few words, and very interesting information about water. In other words, this PowerPoint presentation kept me entertained but at the same time it made me aware of the water deficiency in our world, it even motivated me to take care of water and make others aware of this situation.

Burmark, L. (2011). They snooze you lose: The educator’s guide to successful presentations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment