Saturday, September 3, 2011

What I learned from the Copyright Course!

“Copyright”… I have heard that word before; even my professors from college have taught me what it means and how to use it. I’ve learned that it is a federal law and we must respect someone else’s work by giving credit to the authors and ask for permission if we are going to use it or share it.
It is so easy to steal someone else’s work (quotes, songs, ideas, plays, illustrations, etc) especially when we use the internet as a teaching resource. All we have to do is right click copy and paste (wherever it is) in your power point presentation, blog, facebook, email, lesson, etc. and sometimes we forget to copy and paste the author’s name and the original resources information.
With the Copyright Crash Course written for the University of Texas by Georgia K. Harper, I’ve learned that as a professional I have to protect myself, my career and most importantly the author’s work (not forgetting that it is my duty as teacher to exercise this law in everything I do and in everything I assign to my students). This course made me realize how important it is to actually value the authors, because copyright is the only way they will keep motivated to continue writing, producing, creating, inventing, and sharing with the world their valuable product. If we ignore this law, there will be consequences, and authors might feel discouraged to create good quality work or to even share it in the future.
Copyright is a Federal Law and as good citizens we must obey it. We have to teach our children the importance of it so later they can be our authors and happily produce and share their work with us!


No comments:

Post a Comment