Monday, October 3, 2011

CHAPTER 8 - Playing music


We as educators have to make sure the content we teach flows directly to our students’ long term memory. The secret to these is to use two important ingredients; images and music. On the previous chapter, Dr. Burmark explained in detail about the importance of using pictures. In this chapter, “Playing music”, she gives very interesting information and facts about the significance of using music in our presentations.

While I was reading Chapter 8, I was listening to classic piano music, a Medley by pianist Dino. I am writing this blog, and I’m listening to the same Medley again. As I type, I feel words are raining and coming my way. I feel motivated to write, because I’m recalling everything I previously read. In other words, I can feel the words flowing with the rhythm of the music. This proves what Dr. Burmark says; music can help with memory if the same music played during learning it’s been played during the recall test. (Burmark, p. 151) Music can make a person relax, inspire, transport to an imaginary place, and it can help to recall a sweet, unforgettable or tragic moment. It can get a person in the mood to read, cook, sing, dance, get romantic, exercise, etc. That is the reason movies, plays and presentations need music; to set the atmosphere and make the viewer understand the story. Music is powerful and we need to use it wisely. (Burmark, p. 144) In other words we have to be careful to pick the right music for the right theme. What we play in the classroom has nothing to do with taste but with the emotional impact that music will have on listeners. (Burmark, p. 146) I have seen that music can change mood instantly. For example, when my students are painting, I usually play the radio on smooth country music. They are painting with a smile on their face. They are enjoying their time peacefully; they even enforce the social contract among each other. Until one of my students asks to change the radio station to something different. A student decides to change it to a rock station and immediately I can see and feel the difference. My students are no longer “the perfect class”. They start playing rough; they start to argue, and finally use bad language forgetting about respect and good manners.
Music is powerful! Dr. Burmark shares many ways we could incorporate music in our presentations. We can start the class by making some students act out a song, watch some video or picture slides with exciting music, dramatize the instrumental piece “Moodley Medley”, play music when learning something and listen to it again during a recall test. By doing this, we can open a channel for learning; it will affect listeners with their emotions and we might also help discover our student’s talents.



Burmark, L. (2011). They snooze you lose: The educator’s guide to successful presentations. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass.

No comments:

Post a Comment